T Minus 2.5 Years to Launch

I always find it difficult to answer "Why/when did you decide to go into occupational therapy?" because there was not really one big defining moment. Instead, several smaller moments guided me to where I am today. 

Throughout all my schooling and job experience, I always loved science and working with children. While Anatomy appealed to me much more than General Chemistry and Biology, I knew I did not want to go the typical medical or nursing school route. I ended up shadowing a few different rehabilitation therapists before I finally shadowed some occupational therapists and was hooked. It was as if the universe had a checklist of my passions and revealed one incredibly adaptable profession where I could use them all. A variety of possible pediatric settings to work in? Check. Creative rather than monotonous work? Check. Aligns with my personal values that all people deserve equal rights? Definite check. Ability to tie in sustainability and technology? Check and check.

Now that I am in OT school, the pieces seem to keep falling into place. As we learn all about the holistic, client-centered approach of OT and the possible areas of practice, it continues to validate that I really am on the right career path. I am very excited to continue the journey. 

Initial trajectory calculations complete. T minus 2.5 years to launch. 

Comments

  1. I love it - this is a great OT origin story - and I love the way it fits with the design/look of your blog. Well done, Emily!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment